So I'm starting to wean Charlie from nursing. He has had formula bottles here and there since he was about 3 months old but his primary source of food was my milk. I am going back to work on January 15th full time so I'm starting to wean him. He has had a bottle of formula a day since last Sunday. Starting this Sunday he will have two bottles and then work up to three. I feed him 5 times a day.
I'm having mixed feelings about this process. There are some times that I feel okay and ready to stop nursing him. However, I then begin to feel sad about it as I have really enjoyed this experience. I'm going to try to continue to nurse him in the am and before bedtime, but we'll see how this works out. I am so bi-polar over the whole thing!!
Pros of weaning:
No more pumping...this is so exciting!!
No more leaking boobs
He eats a bottle much quicker
I know how much he is actually getting
Cons of weaning:
I will miss that bond we had
I love his little sleepy/drunk way he gets after he nurses
It means he is growing up
It was convenient and easy
It was cheap
I'll have to clean bottles
Formula smells bad
Distractions
13 years ago

Don't worry- you will still be bonded to him!! Formula does smell though- Ive got to agree with you there :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I weaned Owen I nursed him just those 2 feedings for about a month, it doesn't seem like you have a lot milk left, but your body will make just enough for those 2 if you stick with it. And yes, you will still be bonded, Owen now just cuddles with me instead, even better!
ReplyDelete